Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

big girl

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Ok, so everyone is (predictably) queefing over Terry Richardson's literal take on "One Size Fits All" for V Magazine. OMG, they put a like, fat girl right next to a skinny one! How fearless of them!

Well to anyone who thinks this "gutsiness" indicates a changing tide, I have news for you: it doesn't. It's just another obtuse take on 'edginess' from the master of sex and rock n' roll and record-holding penis-size owner Terry Richardson. Crystal Renn is gorgeous, but why pit her against a skinny model? Because let's be honest, the playing field isn't even. Our eyes have become accustomed to seeing designer clothes draped on the rib cages of women who look like they've just survived a week long bout with dysentery or stomach parasites. What good does it do to ease the eye into a more "realistic" (if you want to call it that--I can't think of that many people I know who are as jaw-droppingly gorgeous as Crystal) depiction of the female form by comparing it side-by-side with the status quo? Hardly seems groundbreaking to me.

In spite of this rant (wow, it feels good to write something longer than 3 sentences) I really think these are gorgeous photos. It's just a little tiresome to have all these people in fashion declaring the 'end of the skinny model' when you and I and your aunt Edna all know that's bullshit.

Here are some other editorials of Crystal that I really love:

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. I agree, it is sad but very true.
    I think Crystal Renn was gorgeous compared to the other skinny one (though they looked like TWINS except the body shape) I think it is a nice move for "bettering" the whole ideal skinny model type on runways and on print, but its not going to happen anytime soon.
    But I do think it will! fashions change as well as the body type that goes with it from the curvy 50s to the lanky 60s..itll happen again when Crystal Renn's body *and mine haha will be popular again..especially on the runway.
    I give it another 10-20 years
    let's be optimistic!

    sorry for the long-ass comment!
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just the way it is and you said it perfecly!
    And Crystal Renn is sooo gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe by your clever rant. You never disappoint me, I always laugh somehow.

    But yes you are right, it's not chaning, it hasn't changed and honestly it never will. Emaciated stick figures will always rule the runway and us "big" girls need to either lose weight or forget careers in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are beautiful...she is hardly a big girl and i love your take on this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. all this look so good!
    I love the photos :)
    Nice blog :D


    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have to disagree, of course this isnt the "end to the skinny model" and anyone who thinks so is foolish but i love this editorial and i even think when wearing the leotard crystal looks better than jacquelyn. i think its smart and beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is refreshing to see a bigger model, however I think (despite being a fatty myself) that seeing clothes draped over a tall skinny goddess makes them just quite magical and just adds to the lust factor.

    What is good about this is the lack of a coat - usually when magazines try to give some lime light to a larger lady, they stick her in a trench coat which just infuriates me. It's like those how to wear such and such a trend if you're whatever size e.g. say it was polka dots or something - size 6(uk) you can wear a polka dot bikini and you're good to go, size 8 shorts and a polka dot cropped top, size ten maybe go for trousers, then anything over a twelve requires a black trench coat with maybe a polka dot brooch. Drives me crazy!

    Sorry for the rant - I haven't had the internet in about 10 days and got a bit excited.

    Merry Christmas! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT STUFF! The athletic/sexy nature of the shots remind me of this wild Latina blog showing off her vintage leotard collection:
    http://athletiart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete