Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

goodies

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

Over the years I have managed to acquire almost all of what survived of my late grandmother's wardrobe, for the sole reason that I'm the only living relative whose pygmy frame can fit into her handmade frocks. But only if I don't eat anything. Olden times people were small.

So, I was delighted to receive a care package in the mail yesterday from my aunt with these new pieces to add to my collection. If you can believe it, everything, with the exception of the lace blouse, was handmade. My grandmother sewed all her own clothes, and the clothes for her six children. I'm pretty sure her handiness with a sewing machine would put 9 out of 10 design students to shame. And I can't even sew a Goddamn pillow! Oh, and I'm totally feeling soft pink and white monochrome outfits right now. Before I even received this in the mail, I was working on these Polyvore collages:

PhotobucketPhotobucket

What a happy coincidence!

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What beautiful clothes! I can't believe that nearly all of them were hand sewn! My DIY'ing is a bit slapdash haha.. I love that you had those polyvore collages ready and waiting before you got all those wonderful pieces!

    I am completely the same with dogs.. I want one sooo bad! The one in the first picture with my friend Amy - she was a bit of a nightmare. She's a new puppy and she's got a heart problem but you'd never be able to tell because she's mega hyper but Charlie (the one in the second pic) is amazing! I used to go out with Amy's brother.. he was my first love! Haha so me and Charlie go way back and he's just the best. I just want to steal him! I can't wait til I move out so I can just be a spinster with a dog and lots of amazing clothes.. that is my dream! How sad! I've just been out for drinks which is why I'm rambling on.. sorry! I'll stop. Night! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I just adore your selection from Polyvore. The pieces you picked per color scheme are so romantic and soft.

    http://derherzen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE this, soo soft and romantic. they were hand sewn? wow. your grandmother is amazing and you're pygmie sized? haha i can't imagine what i'd be then.


    alicexinwonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. i especially like the white outfit--you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i love those dresses and to think they have history within your family! i do love the first three smashing pumpkins albums - gish, siamese dreams, and pisces iscarriot...after that they lost me totally. I still have my Siamese Dreams t-shirt from 7th grade that I begged my mom to buy me (it's now 13 years old::) I wear it and it's so fallen apart but i like it just the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a huge fan of monochrome--you've done an amazing job with the styling in these collages...love them both!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Gammy would be thrilled to see you in her creations! Maybe you haven't yet learned to sew like she could, but you've definitely got the styling thing going. And the collages are lovely, especially the pinks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am absolutely lusting over those white wedges. do you know who they're by??

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the pastel pink and white collage.. soo sereneee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the vintage look on you and so would your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love them...they are very special

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok...i am jealous. if only i could fit! bitch.

    ReplyDelete